google-site-verification: google935433b691795853.html KRISTY BERRIDGE: Book Review: The Seven Steps to Closure by Donna Joy Usher

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Book Review: The Seven Steps to Closure by Donna Joy Usher

Let me just start off by saying that I don't usually do Chick-Lit. I've never been really interested in girly dramas, boy bantering, and the inevitable over-discussed shopping sprees. I'm a supernatural fiction fan all the way - horror, suspense, a smattering of romance, and of course, vampires! So, when the Seven Steps to Closure was recommended to me by a friend, I thought to myself. Come on, woman, be brave, try something new, particularly in light of the good press it's so far receiving.
Alas, I downloaded this little bargain from kindle for $2.99 and sat back with a dubious expression undoubtedly planted across my face. But, as I was slowly woven into the world of Tara Babcock and her endearing friends, I found myself, shall we say ... hooked.
Yes, imagine my surprise as I laughed continuously at this seemingly disastrous protagonist, her psychologically deranged pets, and her saddened yet eternally optimistic view of her less than perfect dating experiences.
Let me lay it out for you quickly. Tara Babcock has had a rough year. Her philandering husband is out of the picture but her heart persists on dragging its ventricles, unable to obtain closure. Cue three very different, yet well-meaning friends and you have Tara with a new mission - obtaining the seven steps to closure thanks to an elaborate article in a gossip magazine. Get a new haircut, get a new wardrobe, start a new hobby, have meaningless sex (yes, you heard me), travel to an exotic destination, have meaningful sex (yes, you heard me twice), and obtain closure.
It all sounds pretty straight forward, doesn't it? Not with Tara at the helm.
Needless to say the author cleverly explores Tara's progress through each chapter, shaping the character into the disastrous but endearing creature that makes you smile at every witty one-liner and inevitable upset. Flanked by a smartly interwoven sub-plot pertaining to each individual friend and you have more than just a story surrounding one desperate woman's journey to leave the past behind. Throw in a trip to India and all the idiosyncrasies that come with stolen shoes, crazy bandits, Dehli Belly, and ... meaningful sex - you have yourself a very entertaining little novel.
My only criticism is that sometimes the protagonist does highlight a little too much background information on elements that do not necessarily add to the story, simply slow it down. There was also a small lack of interchanging expressions and emotions from character interaction, but this in no way dimmed my enjoyment of this novel. From a self-published author I am extremely impressed by the attention to detail and the clear passion shown in research and character development. Overall, I can honestly say that I loved this book and will probably read more from this author in the future.
I will happily give it five fangs for surprising the hell out of me and proving me wrong about chick-lit!


Synopsis:
Tara Babcock awakes the morning after her thirtieth birthday with a hangover that could kill an elephant, and the knowledge she is still no closer to achieving closure on her marriage break up. Things go from bad to worse when she discovers that, not only is her ex-husband engaged to her cousin - Tash, the woman her left her for - but that Jake is also running for the Lord Mayor of Sydney.
Desperate to leave the destructive relationship behind and with nothing else to lose, she decides, with the encouragement of her three best friends, to follow the dubious advice from a magazine article - closure in seven easy steps.


Kristy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes! I absolutely love your comments, and, now that I have read through the blogger instructions and actually know how to answer them, we are all sweet - so please, write!